How do I change my Windows screen saver?
To change your screensaver in Microsoft Windows follow these steps:
- On and empty area of your desktop click with your right mouse button
- On the small menu that pops up, select Properties. The Display Properties window will appear
- Select the Screen Saver tab to view the screensaver settings
From the screen saver settings page you can select a different screen saver, adjust the settings of the current screensaver and set the time required before your screensaver will activate. You also have the option of requiring a password to be entered before you can use the computer after the screensaver has been activated.
You can also adjust your computer screen power settings by pressing the Power button.
After choosing a screensaver, and pressing the settings button to make adjustments to the screensaver you can preview how it will look by pressing the Screensaver Preview button.
When you are happy with the screen saver settings you've selected, press OK to save your settings.
Don't confuse your screensaver with your wallpaper
The screensaver is what comes on when your computer is idle for a predetermined amount of time. Screen savers were originally designed to prevent 'burn in' on old style computer screens by having the same image showing for hours at a time. Today, a whole industry has grown around screensavers, even though with today's modern LCD screens, they aren't even necessary!
The Windows Wallpaper is the image that is displayed in the background, on your desktop. If you have a new computer, the Windows wallpaper may show the manufacturers logo, or it may simply be the default Windows wallpaper.
How to change your Windows XP Wallpaper
- On an unused area of your screen, click with the right mouse button
- On the small menu that pops up, click Properties
- On the Display Properties window, click the Desktop tab
From the Desktop Properties window, scroll through the Background list until you find a image you like, and press OK.
How to set your Windows desktop wallpaper background to a picture on the internet
Follow these steps to set your Windows background wallpaper to an image from the internet.
- When you find the image you want as your Windows wallpaper on the internet while using Microsoft Internet Explorer or Firefox, click on the image with your right mouse button.
- From the small menu that pops up, select Set as desktop background
Warning about free screensavers
So-called Free screensavers you find on the internet very often have spyware or adware hidden within them. You should never download or install any free screensavers or free cursors from the internet unless you are absolutly certain that they are spyware and virus free. Because it is usually impossible to determine if free Windows screen savers or free cursors contain spyware or adware until after you install them on your PC, you should never install them. If you want screensavers that are safe to install on your PC, you may have to spend a few dollars.
For more information on how to preventing spyware and adware see our how to prevent spyware page.