How Do Companies View Private Facebook Profiles?


Tagged with:
23 replies [Last post]
N0tS0Smart
N0tS0Smart's picture
Member for 6 years 21 weeks
GuG-Points: 52

I just had a fellow student get turned down from a job because of the content included in his Facebook profile. He claims that his profile is set to "private" but they apparently still saw whatever was on it. How do companies get access to these Facebook profiles? Does Facebook sell the rights to view them?

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Anoymous Visitor (not verified)
Re: How Do Companies View Private Facebook Profiles?
If he dumb enough to give his Facebook profile he's probably to dumb to set it to private the right way.
virtualyreal
virtualyreal's picture
I am Here to learn from others from manila
Member for 5 years 44 weeks
GuG-Points: 16
Re: How Do Companies View Private Facebook Profiles?
hi...never use facebook with your companies PC..they might have keylogger installed in every computer so they can monitor what is everybody doing during working hourss.
Anonymous Visitor (not verified)
Re: How Do Companies View Private Facebook Profiles?
I heard companies can look at your wall and see what your friends put up and not hire or fire you bassed on what your friends put up.
photo of member named
Hubby
insert witty description here
I am a Grown Up Geek
Re: How Do Companies View Private Facebook Profiles?
Anonymous Visitor wrote:

I heard companies can look at your wall and see what your friends put up and not hire or fire you bassed on what your friends put up.

I think you heard wrong.. However i have read that some companies have required potential employees to 'friend' the company so they could see how much stupid stuff stuff was on their wall so they could decide to hire them or not.

Koowie (not verified)
Re: How Do Companies View Private Facebook Profiles?
I don't trust anything Facebook does. I am sure all my information is already being sold to developers and companies. That is why i hardly go there anymore.
Anonymous Visitor (not verified)
Just Got Fired
I just got fired for something stupid I posted on Facebook. It was just a list of funny last names ONLY from the call center, no big deal. I feel like my privacy and freedom of speech were stomped all over. Is there anything I can do about it?
Zoo Keeper
I am working my program from a sunny little valley.
Member for 5 years 35 weeks
GuG-Points: 1028
Re: Just Got Fired

If you posted ANYTHING from your employer that is considered confidential (I'm pretty sure last names falls in this category escpecially if you are a  call center and those are clients) you can be fired. You violated those peoples confidentialality as well as creating a huge liability for your employer when you posted their last names to your facebook page. As a CEO with over 100 employees on my payroll...I would have fired you too.

PS: You might want to check your friends because if you are private someone ratted you out...

photo of member named
Hubby
insert witty description here
I am a Grown Up Geek
Re: Just Got Fired

In the "private world" (meaning, we arent talking about government suppression of your rights to speech), you dont really have any freedom of speech - ie; if you say something your company doesnt like publicly, they can fire you.
You could contact an employment attorney - he/she would know if you "have a case" ..

Anonymous Visitor (not verified)
Re: Just Got Fired
This isn't true. People you guys really need to know your rights. There is a reason why during interviews, and even on the job your company has no business learning about your private life. If you never use FaceBook on their computers or you are a potential hire who has never even revealed your FaceBook information and you have a private profile. Your rights have been violated. Hubby you might have been told the difference between private and public, but in the US there is a reason why citizens have a right to privacy and a right not to be discriminated against. Yes, companies can fire you for it, but rather they get away it a wrongful fire or not is up to you. This is why in right to work states companies just fire without giving a reason or not hire you without a reason. It is why companies do get around this sort of thing by not asking about your FaceBook. Anyway if someone said "I looked at your FaceBook profile, and determined you are not a fit for this company." You can exercise the rights you have. If they didn't say this or ask for your FaceBook information or asked to browse your profile. Then of course you don't have anything on them. Anyway I had to post this. Yes, we can becareful on FaceBook and we should be weary on how our private info. With that being said I also think being able to post keyboard cat videos, and political articles on your profile should be fine. Why? Well simply put you had an entire generation of people now who aren't allowed to have privacy. The attitudes in here tell me this. You guys are adapting to the situation which is great, but you should do more than just adapt you need to really fight back. People aren't willing to do this. They want to be helpless, and they want to be paranoid all of the time on edge. This isn't the way to live life.
Bear
Bear's picture
I am the boy your mother warned you about
Member for 6 years 8 weeks
GuG-Points: 1091
Re: Just Got Fired

Along with knowing your rights you should know your facts.  It is indeed true.

Most people are "employees at will" which means your employer can fire you at any time for any reason, with the exception of a few illegal reasons; being fired for gender/race or relious beliefs, excercising legal rights to take off for medical leave, jury duty or military service or whistle blowing about illegal activity.  And in all states, with the exception of Montana, you are an employee at will by default but I'm willing to bet it states specifically that you are if you look in your employee packet. 

Using their resources, which include the computer you use, the electricity, the internet service and the chair your sit in, to slack off on the internet CAN get you fired.  During your hours of employment, you are also a resource of the company.  What you do on your employer's time with your employer's resources is absolutely their business.  They are within their rights to monitor anything you do using their resources.  So it is up to you not to use your employer's resources for personal use if you are concerned about privacy.  

Remember, they can fire you for any reason.  Some employers view using bandwidth the same as taking home a stapler or a ream of paper.  Not yours to take to therefore it is stealing.

As far as looking at your FaceBook profile during the interview process, I would argue that it is no more egregious than calling the HR department of your previous employeers, calling that list of references or checking up at the universities you attended to see if you actually graduated.  And then there is Linkedin.  Your employer can check you out on Linkedin and find that you worked at the same company as someone they once worked with or was on the chess team with in undergrad.  They can call that person and check you out and find out things about you that HR wouldn't have in their files.   All perfectly legal, I might add. 

What you do as an employee is out there to find.  What you do in your personal life is out there to find.  It is up to you to make sure there aren't any photos of you smoking a joint in the bathroom at the last company holiday party on your timeline. 

kaffy
I am Luvin TheGuG
Member for 6 years 47 weeks
GuG-Points: 45
Re: How Do Companies View Private Facebook Profiles?

The company might have had a fake profile and requested to be a friend.  It's easy to do and college students fall for it often.  Just say........."Hey, weren't you in my such and such class?"  If the profile has a fake default photograph of some hot girl, then guys will accept the friend request without hesitation just to see more photos of the hottie!  It's either that or your friend might be telling a tall tale.

waborita
waborita's picture
I am checking out GrownUpGeek.Com from deep south, usa
Member for 6 years 28 weeks
GuG-Points: 242
Re: How Do Companies View Private Facebook Profiles?

What about the "ap gap" in privacy? Could this explain how someone could get around FaceBook privacy and into some profiles?

If someone in the company (or anyone nosey) creates an app or a quiz, as I understand it the quizmaker can see not only the entire profile of anyone who takes the quiz, but as per FaceBook tos can see the quiztakers friends accounts as the quiztaker sees them...does this make sense? When a person accepts a quiz they agree to "allow the app to use their FaceBook info and that of their friends." Maybe this article will explain better:

http://www.aclunc.org/news/press_releases/aclu_launches_facebook_privacy_quiz,_calls_for_stronger_privacy_defaults.shtml?ht=facebook%20quiz%20facebook%20quiz

GoldenGirl
I am a Ramen Noodle from Home is where the heart is
Member for 6 years 15 weeks
GuG-Points: 573
Re: How Do Companies View Private Facebook Profiles?

Does changing the privacy setting of the application change this, though? I noticed that this article was posted last year, and since then, a lot of privacy options have come up in place of it.

Anonymous Visitor (not verified)
Re: How Do Companies View Private Facebook Profiles?
what if a person who likes to cyberstalk owns their own business. Can they get in through back doors to have access to my account, as if I am a potential employee when in fact I want nothing to do with this person or their 'company'?
photo of member named
Hubby
insert witty description here
I am a Grown Up Geek
Re: How Do Companies View Private Facebook Profiles?
Anonymous Visitor wrote:

... Can they get in through back doors to have access to my account, as if I am a potential employee when in fact I want nothing to do with this person or their 'company'?

NO ...
If anyone has any information to show I am wrong (with facts to back it up), please post it!

Anonymous Visitor (not verified)
Re: How Do Companies View Private Facebook Profiles?
Thanks for the reply. I have been concerned that my facebook ability changes as if the administrators have been "hacked" and the very person I want nothing to do with is a fly on the wall in all I do on my FaceBook account. (i.e. when his significant other, first name starting with an "L" decided to friend my daughter (long story) I noticed I was unable to search my daughter's friends by typing "L" without it going directly to a Harvard Alumni sight. (this person IS a hacker and has been in trouble with the law before) I am NOT a hacker but really trying to see if there is any way I can "catch him" at what he is doing to get him shut down. I could quit FaceBook all together but then I miss out on all the friend connections and he finds other ways to "follow what I do". Any thoughts?
photo of member named
Hubby
insert witty description here
I am a Grown Up Geek
Re: How Do Companies View Private Facebook Profiles?
Anonymous Visitor wrote:

Any thoughts?

I can pretty much assure you that this person has not 'hacked' Facebook.. Keep your computer safe and clean, and you'll be fine.. Don't quit Facebook either - just remember that nothing you post on Facebook should be considered private. Operate under the assumption that anything you post can be seen by this person, and just don't post anything you don't want him to see.

Anonymous Visitor (not verified)
Re: How Do Companies View Private Facebook Profiles?
Thanks. Yea, I do keep that in the back of my mind and have for years been quite private with things like no forwarding addresses, non published numbers, not listing those things on FaceBook.... etc.... I feel secure until things start happening on my FaceBook that don't seem to be happening on others. Same with my email account. (lost all of my contacts in Address book.... when I contacted the carrier was told that that can't happen)??? Not really an explaination - but had to live with it. I wanted to contact the FaceBook administrators but don't know how to do it without using facebook. (I don't want to give the heads up that I'm having someone check on it) I've had my phone tapped after strange calls.... and they always stop as soon as the tap is put on (five separate occassions) really odd stuff but nothing I can prove. Sorry for the ranting.... it gets frustrating and I just wish I could stay one step ahead without becoming a recluse. Smile Thanks again!!
katrina
Member for 7 years 5 weeks
GuG-Points: 3
Re: How Do Companies View Private Facebook Profiles?

I'm actually work in HR and for fun sometimes we see if one of our candidates has a Myspace or a Facebook we can look at. We are not the most tech savvy people either.

They probably found it by a simple google search.  At some point your students profile was not private and the things he has posted in the past are still viewable via google's cache search. 

 

A is for Apple
I am A Human
Member for 6 years 48 weeks
GuG-Points: 177
Re: How Do Companies View Private Facebook Profiles?

katrina wrote:

I'm actually work in HR and for fun sometimes we see if one of our candidates has a Myspace or a Facebook we can look at. We are not the most tech savvy people either.

They probably found it by a simple google search.  At some point your students profile was not private and the things he has posted in the past are still viewable via google's cache search. 

 

What exactly do you type in the google search to find their myspace or facebook? (other than their name obviously....or is that it & they're dumb enough to use their real names?)

Almost Evil
Almost Evil's picture
I am new here at GrownUpGeek.Com from Sunny California
Member for 7 years 24 weeks
GuG-Points: 7629
Re: How Do Companies View Private Facebook Profiles?

 Even on private profiles, some things are still visible. Facebook does not sell private information to anyone. You friend could have been stretching the truth, or may not have his profile 'really' private.  The possibilities are endless.

"So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb. "

Anonymous Visitor
Re: How Do Companies View Private Facebook Profiles?
Almost Evil wrote:

 Even on private profiles, some things are still visible. Facebook does not sell private information to anyone. You friend could have been stretching the truth, or may not have his profile 'really' private.  The possibilities are endless.

"So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb. "

Actually both MySpace and Facebook have been selling the rights for companies to view private profiles. In Facebook you actually have to go to your privacy settings and change a setting to No, which by default allows Facebook to use ANY of your photos for advertisements, a setting that they purposely make hard to find.

Both of these tactics are legal because the content is hosted on their hard drives, making it their property as long as its stored there.

D G
D G's picture
I am A Human from Earth
Member for 6 years 5 weeks
GuG-Points: 487
Re: How Do Companies View Private Facebook Profiles?

Nothing is private on the internet.

A tagged photo of you by a friend on Facebook is so easily viewable by anyone.. or if you tagged someone their friends have access to your entire album depending on how you have your album privacy settings. It's not really a flaw.. more like a feature that can bite you in the @ss.

Facebook is pretty secure, but if you are job hunting, put all pics you dont want associated with you in a private album (or better yet delete them) and if a friend tags you in a photograph you don't want associated with you, REMOVE the tag.

 

 **EDIT: You can shut your Facebook to TOTAL Privacy mode if you have the Privacy --> Search --> setting to "Only Friends". You wont show up in any searches... but I don't like to totally hide like that. If I did, I wouldn't even want a page.

But that is an option if you want total privacy from everyone except those you choose to have access to your page. Just make sure all Privacy settings are also set to Only Friends or Only Me. 

 

 

 

 

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.