How To Track an iPhone From A PC
So your shiny new iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad is lost? Or, you want to be sure you can track and find your iPhone or other iDevice if it becomes lost? No problem! Apple makes tracking and finding your iPhone (or iPad or iPod Touch) from your PC (or Mac) easy! And better yet, it's free!
This How To Article applies to iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch although the term iPhone may be used
What you will need to track your iPhone from a PC:
1) You will need to setup your free iCloud account at www.icloud.com . Apple makes this very easy when you setup or upgrade your iPhone. You will not be able to find your iPhone if it becomes stolen or lost without an iCloud account! If you choose not to create your free iCloud account and your iPhone is later stolen, you CAN NOT track it! If you skipped setting up iCloud when you got your iPhone, just tap Settings and enable iCloud. You your iPhone will take you through all the steps to create a new iCloud account
2) Configure iCloud and Find My iPhone. If you do not configure Find My iPhone with your iCloud account settings, you CAN NOT track a lost or stolen iPhone! Tap Settings, then iCloud, then scroll down to "Find My iPhone" and tap "ON"
You MUST COMPLETE steps #1 and #2 in order to track your iPhone! If you do not complete these steps, you will not be able to track or locate your iPhone if it becomes lost or stolen! If you have come to this page via a search engine and you never did #1 and #2, or later deactivated Find My iPhone, your phone is gone. Sorry!
How to Track your iPhone from your PC (or Mac!)
After setting up your free iCloud account and activating Find my iPhone on your device, it is ready to be tracked on your PC (or Mac!):
To locate your iPhone from your PC (or Mac!) open any web-browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari) and go to www.icloud.com
- At the login screen enter your iCloud user name and password (the same one you used to in steps #1 and #2, above).
- After you are signed-in to iCloud, click the "find My iPhone" icon (you may have to re-enter your iCloud password)
- A map will appear, and after a few moments, your iPhone location will be displayed on the map (this may take 20 seconds up to 1 or 2 minutes)
- You can update the location of the iPhone by clicking the circle-arrow button to the right of "My Devices"
- There is no limit to the number if iPhones, iPads, or iPod touches that can be tracked or located with Find my IPhone. Just configure each one with the same iCloud account information
In order to track your iPhone, it must be powered-on and in range of a usable Wifi or 3G signal. If the iPhone is not able to be tracked a message will appear indicating either "offline", "no location", or "unable to locate". If this happens, wait a while (a few hours, or a day) and try again.
If, after a few days it is still not located, it is possible that the battery has died, it is still out of range of WiFi or 3G service, it may have been "wiped" clean, or Find My iPhone may have been disabled.