screen image shifted to the left?


Tagged with:
8 replies [Last post]
LadyCerridwen48
LadyCerridwen48's picture
I am supporting our troops from The Rez
Member for 7 years 11 weeks
GuG-Points: 3130

What the heck did my Mom do?  She's using a 22" widescreen monitor, and recently, the image shifted about 2" to the left, leaving a grey stripe down the right side of her screen.  If she plays a game in a full sized windown, the stripe is still there, and she can't access the very left edge of the game screen with her mouse.  I poked around in her display settings, and reset them.  The screen went back to normal, but what did she do to cause that in the first place?


_________________________________

She heard about a place people were smilin', they spoke about the Red Man's way and how they loved the land...

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
casper0191
I am a Male
Member for 4 years 46 weeks
GuG-Points: 38
Re: screen image shifted to the left?

Also can you share the brand of the monitor?

LadyCerridwen48
LadyCerridwen48's picture
I am supporting our troops from The Rez
Member for 7 years 11 weeks
GuG-Points: 3130
Re: screen image shifted to the left?

Um, if you read the rest of the thread, you'd see that this was resolved a few months ago.  Thanks for trying to help, though Smile

"For we are always what our situations hand us, it’s either sadness or euphoria"

casper0191
I am a Male
Member for 4 years 46 weeks
GuG-Points: 38
Re: screen image shifted to the left?

She might accidentally pressed the auto adjustment while playing a game.

photo of member named
Hubby
insert witty description here
I am a Grown Up Geek
Re: screen image shifted to the left?

I have an older LCD that does this all the time. it usually does it when the screen switches modes - like from the 16-color XP bootup screen to full color mode. it doesnt do it every time, but often enough to be annoying. to put it back to normal i just powercycle the screen, and it goes back to normal..

I never figgerd out why it did this.

LadyCerridwen48
LadyCerridwen48's picture
I am supporting our troops from The Rez
Member for 7 years 11 weeks
GuG-Points: 3130
Re: screen image shifted to the left?

Hubby wrote:

I have an older LCD that does this all the time. it usually does it when the screen switches modes - like from the 16-color XP bootup screen to full color mode. it doesnt do it every time, but often enough to be annoying. to put it back to normal i just powercycle the screen, and it goes back to normal.. I never figgerd out why it did this.

Hmmmm, weird.  M'kay, what does "powercycle" mean and how do you do it?  I wound up going into her control panel, switching her to a setting she didn't like, then back to her prefered setting.  It went back to normal, and stayed that way through a reboot, but if I'm understanding you right about switching screen modes, it's going to happen again eventually, she plays those hidden object games in full color all the time.  Is there an easier, "mom-friendlier" way to set it back?  Thanks!!

 

"Everybody's going nowhere slowly, they're only fighting for the chance to be last.  There's nothing wrong with going nowhere, baby, but we should be going nowhere fast"

photo of member named
Hubby
insert witty description here
I am a Grown Up Geek
Re: screen image shifted to the left?

LadyCerridwen48 wrote:

Hmmmm, weird.  M'kay, what does "powercycle" mean and how do you do it?

This is the procedure to powercycle the monitor:

  • Push the power button (turns it off)
  • Count to 4
  • Push the power button (turns it on)

By changing the settings like you were doing, it's switching modes, and 'resets' it in a way.. but just turning it off/on is faster/easier..

One thing i have noticed on mine though, is that if the screen is displaying a partial image, like the a desktop that is all black - so that there is just the taskbar at the bottom, it doesnt always come back to normal when i turn it off/on..   BUT, if a full-screen of something is showing, like a fully-maximized program-screen displaying something other than 'black' on the entire screen, it always resets correctly.

LadyCerridwen48
LadyCerridwen48's picture
I am supporting our troops from The Rez
Member for 7 years 11 weeks
GuG-Points: 3130
Re: screen image shifted to the left?

Hubby wrote:

This is the procedure to powercycle the monitor:

  • Push the power button (turns it off)
  • Count to 4
  • Push the power button (turns it on)

By changing the settings like you were doing, it's switching modes, and 'resets' it in a way.. but just turning it off/on is faster/easier..

One thing i have noticed on mine though, is that if the screen is displaying a partial image, like the a desktop that is all black - so that there is just the taskbar at the bottom, it doesnt always come back to normal when i turn it off/on..   BUT, if a full-screen of something is showing, like a fully-maximized program-screen displaying something other than 'black' on the entire screen, it always resets correctly.

I know turning the monitor off didn't reset it, it's been like that for a few weeks, and the monitor was turned off when I got there.  So, I guess she'll have to remember the long way.  I'ma have to make her a cheat sheet...

Thanks for the help, I'd never had a monitor do that to me before...

 

"Everybody's going nowhere slowly, they're only fighting for the chance to be last.  There's nothing wrong with going nowhere, baby, but we should be going nowhere fast"

rjw
rjw's picture
I am Here to help others
Member for 5 years 4 weeks
GuG-Points: 9
Re: screen image shifted to the left?

There should be an auto-configure button on the monitor. Press that and the screen will readjust itself if it's analog (e.g. if you have a blue plug connecting your monitor to your PC then it's analog, if it's a white plug then it's digital so the auto-config won't work).

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.