Why must we make our bed every day ?


Tagged with:
20 replies [Last post]
photo of member named
Hubby
insert witty description here
I am a Grown Up Geek

Another person in our home (who's name i won't mention here for fear of.. ehem.. retribution) has our boy (in first grade) trained to dutifully make his bed every morning. The problem is that recently he has been pushing back and asking "why do I have to make my bed every day?".. Mommy's response is "so it can look nice!"... Then he comes to me and asks the same question, and my response is: "I dont know.. Nobody's coming over today and nobody is going to be in your room until tonight, when you mess the bed up again.." ... of course, this infuriates mommy.

So my question to you all is: Why DO we make our bed every day?
Assuming: nobody is coming over, nobody will see it, etc..

Why bother if we're just going to mess it up 10 hours later?

(if this question identifies me as a slob or some other negative name, feel free to point it out as long as you have the facts/reasons to back it up!)

...enlighten me..

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
LadyCerridwen48
LadyCerridwen48's picture
I am supporting our troops from The Rez
Member for 7 years 10 weeks
GuG-Points: 3130
Re: Why must we make our bed every day ?

There are a number of household chores that I have decided are a complete waste of my time and energy.  Making the bed is one of them.  Especially now that I have kittens, simply changing the sheets is a project in and of itself, I really can't be bothered straightening out blankets and fluffing pillows, they all become things to be attacked.  I also refuse to fold underwear, they aren't like shirts where they take up less room folded neatly, so why waste my time?  My Grandmother would roll over in her grave if she saw me clean my bathroom floor.  I spray all 6 square feet of it with Fantastik with Bleach, let it sit a few minutes, then shuffle around on an old bath towel to scrub and dry.  For 6 sq. Feet, it's not worth the time and energy it would take to fill and empty a bucket. 

That being said, these are lazy ways out I took on as an adult.  As a child, if Mom said the bed had to be made, well, the bed had to be made, simple as that.  "Your friends aren't allowed over until your room is clean."  I guess that made it a little less one sided, not just making the bed to please Mom, it earned me a reward as well, I'd be allowed to have friends stay over.

 

"For we are always what our situations hand us, it’s either sadness or euphoria"


_________________________________

She heard about a place people were smilin', they spoke about the Red Man's way and how they loved the land...

snazzy
I am the girl your mother warned you about from the land of dontgivadamn
Member for 7 years 12 weeks
GuG-Points: 1836
Re: Why must we make our bed every day ?

LadyCerridwen48 wrote:

  I spray all 6 square feet of it with Fantastik with Bleach, let it sit a few minutes, then shuffle around on an old bath towel to scrub and dry.  For 6 sq. Feet, it's not worth the time and energy it would take to fill and empty a bucket. 

i use the swifter wet jet mop. and since learning of the dangers of the cleaning solution i have just refilled the bottle with lysol and water. but ive done the towel touch up here and there too and on the other extrmeme ive actually got on my hands and knees with a sponge. (that was when i was nesting-it HAD to be done that way! lol) 

LadyCerridwen48 wrote:

That being said, these are lazy ways out I took on as an adult.  As a child, if Mom said the bed had to be made, well, the bed had to be made, simple as that.  "Your friends aren't allowed over until your room is clean."  I guess that made it a little less one sided, not just making the bed to please Mom, it earned me a reward as well, I'd be allowed to have friends stay over.

yea i think it was a respect/responsibility kind of thing with my mom when i was younger. i had to do it b/c she asked me too. but back then i didnt mind so much because i had to get all the stuffed animals lined up on the bed in a certain order. lol

 

"For we are always what our situations hand us, it’s either sadness or euphoria"

LadyCerridwen48
LadyCerridwen48's picture
I am supporting our troops from The Rez
Member for 7 years 10 weeks
GuG-Points: 3130
Re: Why must we make our bed every day ?

snazzy wrote:

i use the swifter wet jet mop. and since learning of the dangers of the cleaning solution i have just refilled the bottle with lysol and water. but ive done the towel touch up here and there too and on the other extrmeme ive actually got on my hands and knees with a sponge. (that was when i was nesting-it HAD to be done that way! lol)

I don't like the scrubby on them, it's not...scrubby enough for me.  I might give it another try, though, once I make one of these to eat up all my leftover cotton from nephew's bibs.

snazzy wrote:

yea i think it was a respect/responsibility kind of thing with my mom when i was younger. i had to do it b/c she asked me too. but back then i didnt mind so much because i had to get all the stuffed animals lined up on the bed in a certain order. lol

Exactly.  For my Mom, it was that the whole room had to be clean, and part of being clean and neat was a freshly made bed.  Same thing as her insisting that my sister and I say "may I be excused?" after a meal.  It served no purpose other than to teach manners and show respect.  And there's nothing wrong with that, IMO.

"For we are always what our situations hand us, it’s either sadness or euphoria"

Anonymous Visitor
Re: Why must we make our bed every day ?

I make my bed & clean up my room everyday before i go out to class.
I just cannot see the mess when i'm back home all stressed and tired.

PrincessB
PrincessB's picture
I am Easily distracted from CA
Member for 5 years 45 weeks
GuG-Points: 1263
Re: Why must we make our bed every day ?

I read (who knows where) that it is good to "air out your bed" so instead of making it I pull down my sheets and air it out. If company comes over I make it.

animestrinity
animestrinity's picture
I am not telling from my own planet... keep off... no visitors.
Member for 7 years 25 weeks
GuG-Points: 6576
Re: Why must we make our bed every day ?

I don't make my bed... well, unless it's all freshly washed, then I have to get the sheets and blankets on straight, even then that's the extent of it.... aside from that, I don't think I've been told to make my bed since I was a tot... then it only became necessary when we had company... then my mother just left my bedroom door shut, because the bed was the least of the room's "problems".

I think it has to do with the same reason why some people wake up at 8am get up and get shower and dressed even if they have absolutely nothing to do for the day... Once you start doing something to prepare for the day, you're less likely to bum around and be lazy... kind of an official 'the day has now started'...

But... some people (logical people) don't usually see the need for such trivial things as having the bed made every day... maybe if you had a smelly dog that wanted to roll around on your bed all the time........... that might be a reason to at least straighten the blankets... but personally, I think making the bed everyday is kinda pointless... I also think if it's important to someone that the bed is made, they should do it themselves if it's not important to anyone else.

I remember not getting much sleep because I didn't want to move and mess the bed up too much so I wouldn't have to spend forever making it.... and that's not healthy!

D G
D G's picture
I am A Human from Earth
Member for 5 years 43 weeks
GuG-Points: 487
Re: Why must we make our bed every day ?

But... some people (logical people) don't usually see the need for such trivial things as having the bed made every day...

 

No offense, but that is ridiculous and not based on any fact.

animestrinity
animestrinity's picture
I am not telling from my own planet... keep off... no visitors.
Member for 7 years 25 weeks
GuG-Points: 6576
Re: Why must we make our bed every day ?

Why do people think that saying 'no offense' before or after a rude comment justifies saying whatever they feel? It's not a get outta jail free card.

Of course my post wasn't based on fact... it's called "personal preference"... that's why most of the sentences mentioned the phrase "I think" or that it was my opinion... I never said anything in my post was a fact... there would have been a works cited page at the end if there were scientifically researched facts (something which I don't recall seeing in your post either).

As for bringing facts into the equation, let's go there.

Making ones bed can make one feel more productive and efficient.

Keeping a clean and orderly room/house can prevent distractions and make for a calmer environment.

If you're uncomfortable in a neat and tidy area, then a neat and tidy room could be MORE of a distraction.

If you don't care about whether your bed is made, then it really doesn't matter whether it's made or not...

If you like beds made, then that now makes making the bed logical.

If you make your bed simply because you like it made, that doesn't mean it makes sense for someone else.

 

I think making my bed every day would be stupid. I think it's illogical for me. So I don't.  It's a trivial task that makes no difference in my life... as a matter of fact, I prefer my bed unmade... it's more inviting to me than something I'm afraid to mess up.... but if you want to make your bed everyday, I don't care... go for it... if it makes you happy, awesome.

There's no reason to get offended because I believe making a bed everyday is trivial and illogical... or should I have started that post with "no offense" to prevent anyone from ever getting offended?

 

D G
D G's picture
I am A Human from Earth
Member for 5 years 43 weeks
GuG-Points: 487
Re: Why must we make our bed every day ?

That is because you chose to take it personally, and that is fine. Your choice.  I do not question your choice. Just your logic in your argument, or lack thereof.

No one cares if you make your bed, but if you choose to tie being logical to not wanting to make your bed, I call BS.

Prove it is tied to logic and then I'll believe you. Otherwise, it's just your opinion no matter how forcefully in bold you state it.

Go reread your comment and the specific part I responded to. I disagree with your opinion and the bizarre tie to logic which doesnt exist except in your own head, as you admitted.. I have nothing against you, if you can step back for a moment and see that.

 

*edit to add: So basically, I have to respect your opinion that logical people dont make their beds, but you can call my opinion of that statement  being ridiculous "rude." That is truly ridiculous.

 

 

animestrinity
animestrinity's picture
I am not telling from my own planet... keep off... no visitors.
Member for 7 years 25 weeks
GuG-Points: 6576
Re: Why must we make our bed every day ?

I never said you had to respect my opinion. Just don't expect to call someone else's opinion ridiculous and expect them to think that's polite... besides, saying 'no offense' before or after a statement is an acknowledgment that what you're about to say or what you've said is offensive... just that you don't want to take responsibility for it.

I proved the logic in my posts... go back and read it... both of them proved it... I just wrote it out a bit more simply for you to understand the second time... I can't make it any more simple... so I apologize if you can't understand the logic in not making my bed because I prefer it unmade. Logic is a "particular method of reasoning or argumentation"... it's all relative. Just because my logic doesn't match your logic doesn't mean what I said isn't logical... it's just not logical to you.

You, yourself stated, "I guess if it serves no purpose" ..." then he shouldn't do it."  That's logic... in fact... that's the exact logic I used... I don't understand how you can't see your own logic in what I said... Making my bed every day serves no purpose to me, in fact makes me uncomfortable... therefore, I shouldn't make my bed.  If you can't see your OWN logic in that, then there's no reason to even reply to you about this.

I don't take things personally... no-names behind a computer screen aren't that important in life. I just don't care for people to twist what I say into whatever they want it to look like I said. If people are going to misinterpret something I said, I'd rather the comments disappear so that wouldn't happen. Not agreeing with me is cool... but trying to make me look like I said or mean something I don't, isn't... I'm not responding to you out of you having such a resounding affect on me... I'm responding simply to clarify to the rest of the world so they can take what I mean from what I actually said... not from what you say you *think* I mean. That's how something goes from "billy's got an oreo cakester" to "bobby's got his first chest hair".....

*shrugs*

------------------------

Basically... if you want to make your bed... make it... if you don't... don't... and if you don't pay rent, then you should probably do what the people that *do* tell you...

And if Baby Geek needs an actual reason, get the person who wants it made to come up with one... even if it's as simple as the Bed Police will come and check... or 'a clean room is a happy room'... better yet, make the reason benefit Baby Geek...

Or just tell him it's to keep the sheets clean...

Maybe all Baby Geek wants is a reason... doesn't mean it has to be valid or sensible... he just has to buy it.

Could always just turn it into him doing something nice... like 'go make your bed for mommy so she can do ____'... or 'want to do something nice for mommy?' or whatever... and tell him thank you... because if it's just her that wants it done, then maybe he could just do it because he loves her and it's something easy that he can do to make her happy... and after a while, if you're always doing something nice for someone and never get a thank you, then you want to stop doing it.... getting praise for something is generally like a gold star to a kid.

p to the izzle
I am easily distracted from Louisville, KY
Member for 7 years 8 weeks
GuG-Points: 2401
Re: Why must we make our bed every day ?

I make my bed every single day....right before I climb into it to go to sleep. When I wake up I just fling the covers back and hit the ground running. When I wash my sheets I make the bed back up but that's the only time it's really made up right.

www.linuxmint.com/ 

D G
D G's picture
I am A Human from Earth
Member for 5 years 43 weeks
GuG-Points: 487
Re: Why must we make our bed every day ?

I think I make my bed for the same reason I get pedicures in the winter. Nobody sees it, but I do it for me.

I guess if it serves no purpose (and while he's little pleasing Mommy serves a purpose...:) ) then he shouldn't do it.

photo of member named
Hubby
insert witty description here
I am a Grown Up Geek
Re: Why must we make our bed every day ?
D G wrote:

if it serves no purpose (and while he's little pleasing Mommy serves a purpose...:) ) then he shouldn't do it.

Accepted Answer

snazzy
I am the girl your mother warned you about from the land of dontgivadamn
Member for 7 years 12 weeks
GuG-Points: 1836
Re: Why must we make our bed every day ?

i dont see a point either. especially if the rest of the room is in order. there was a movie and i cant remember it off hand but the couple broke up and before that she had this obsession about being tidy. it included the four hundred pillows on the freshly made bed. well when they split he threw them all off and didnt put them on again. made me question the whole bed making process when i saw that. now i dont stress about it as much but it does make the bed look more inviting at the end of a rough day.

but i also remember learning that they used to make the beds...a long long time ago... medieval period ? to keep critters out and warmth in.

Almost Evil
Almost Evil's picture
I am new here at GrownUpGeek.Com from Sunny California
Member for 7 years 10 weeks
GuG-Points: 7630
Re: Why must we make our bed every day ?

 I have four hundred pillows on my bed. Im nutty like that. I also used to be a manager for a Home Department at a major retail store, so I have more bedding sets than any person could possibly need. More often than not, I don't make my bed unless Im having company over or something where someone other than myself might be seeing my bed. The way I have it set up (4 shades of purple, at the moment) it looks kind of cute all messed up anyways.

On a side note. my kitties think bed making time is dive-under-the-covers-and-mess-it-up time. So thats not particularly helpful.

And the movie is Along Came Polly. Wink

 

"Who is this irresistible creature who has an insatiable love for the dead? Living Dead Girl"

snazzy
I am the girl your mother warned you about from the land of dontgivadamn
Member for 7 years 12 weeks
GuG-Points: 1836
Re: Why must we make our bed every day ?

Almost Evil wrote:

 I have four hundred pillows on my bed. Im nutty like that. I also used to be a manager for a Home Department at a major retail store, so I have more bedding sets than any person could possibly need. More often than not, I don't make my bed unless Im having company over or something where someone other than myself might be seeing my bed. The way I have it set up (4 shades of purple, at the moment) it looks kind of cute all messed up anyways.

On a side note. my kitties think bed making time is dive-under-the-covers-and-mess-it-up time. So thats not particularly helpful.

And the movie is Along Came Polly. Wink

 

"Who is this irresistible creature who has an insatiable love for the dead? Living Dead Girl"

 

i think if you have a set up like that it's cute with different colors and textures. kinda like walking into a hotel and seeing a luxury bed with 40 pillows. makes me want to dive in!

 

and thanks again ae!

MariaO
I am a lover not a fighter
Member for 5 years 50 weeks
GuG-Points: 928
Re: Why must we make our bed every day ?

For me - I think it starts the day off in a manner that sets the tone for getting things accomplished - if that makes sense. I also think that it may teach a child to be a little more responsible and make them feel like they play a role in keeping the house clean - just a thought. I always make my bed - but of course now that I'm facing back surgery that will change.

CritterKeeper
I am Easily distracted from A padded room. Would you like to join me?
Member for 6 years 45 weeks
GuG-Points: 1716
Re: Why must we make our bed every day ?

I'm with you. I don't see the point, unless people are coming over and will be seeing your room. My mother gave up on me with that as a child because I had 14 million and 3 rebuttals to each of her reasons.

Be yourself...... Everyone else is taken!

PinkyV02
PinkyV02's picture
I am a lover not a fighter from Beautiful California!
Member for 6 years 30 weeks
GuG-Points: 554
Re: Why must we make our bed every day ?

The rule at my home is whoever gets out of bed last (the boyfriend or I) does the bed... Since I live with a neat freak (the boyfriend) our bed is always done (by him of course I'm the early bird) Any who I would say that the reason your son should do his bed every morning is to teach him about chores and responsibilities, in the long run he wont turn our being lazy like me =) [you gotta teach them young! Wink ] See with me, I NEVER had any chores at home EVERYTHING was taken care of for me from my bed to the laundry. So when I moved out on my own it was soo hard for me to get used to it (and still is) I guess if I would of had a little more responsibilities at home it probably would of been easier..  Also, theres always those unexpected guest that just pop out of nowhere!

 

.Live. .Love. .Laugh.

snazzy
I am the girl your mother warned you about from the land of dontgivadamn
Member for 7 years 12 weeks
GuG-Points: 1836
Re: Why must we make our bed every day ?

PinkyV02 wrote:

The rule at my home is whoever gets out of bed last (the boyfriend or I) does the bed... Since I live with a neat freak (the boyfriend) our bed is always done (by him of course I'm the early bird) Any who I would say that the reason your son should do his bed every morning is to teach him about chores and responsibilities, in the long run he wont turn our being lazy like me =) [you gotta teach them young! Wink ] See with me, I NEVER had any chores at home EVERYTHING was taken care of for me from my bed to the laundry. So when I moved out on my own it was soo hard for me to get used to it (and still is) I guess if I would of had a little more responsibilities at home it probably would of been easier..  Also, theres always those unexpected guest that just pop out of nowhere!

 

.Live. .Love. .Laugh.

cant tell ya how many times i have had a neighbor come over and the first thing i do is scramble to get the bed made. (which istill cant figure out because its not like theyll be hanging in my bedroom.) its even worse though when there is clean unfolded laundry on it too.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.